So having my new kegerator setup I decided I wanted some alcoholic ginger ale on tap. This is my attempt.

Recipe:

  • 2 cups of fresh ginger juice (about to 2.5lbs)
  • Juice of 3 lemons
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 3.5lbs sugar
  • 5.5 US Gallons Water
  • 2 packs red-star Cuvee
  • Mint Tincture
  • Yeast energizer
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • K-Meta
  • K-Sorbate
  • Sparkolloid or other fining agent

Instructions:

  1. Clean and sanitize everything. I may go a little overboard here but as I am not boiling all 5.5 Gallons of water better safe then funky.
  2. 3.5lbs of sugar and the juice of 1 lemon in half a gallon of water to a simmer.
  3. Simmer for about 15 minutes to make invert sugar.
  4. Add remaining juices to your invert sugar, Simmer for 5 minutes or so.
  5. Cool and add to your sanitized fermentation vessel along with the remaining 5 gallons of water.
  6. Add yeast nutrient and energizer to manufacturer’s specifications
  7. Pitch yeast
  8. Ferment dry FG of .998 or similar..
  9. Rack off yeast cake into another clean and sanitized carboy
  10. Degas if desired.
  11. Add K-Meta, K-Sorbate, and Sparkolliod per manufacturer’s instructions
  12. Once clear rack into another vessel
  13. Back sweeten to desired sweetness.
  14. Package as desired and enjoy.

So the train of thought here is to make a simple spicy ginger ale. Using the base of skeeterpee with some modifications. Dropping the initial sugar to 3.5 lbs from 7 lbs to get a starting gravity of about 1.030 with a target of 3.8% ABV or so. And with some simple syrup and some “flavor testing” (My fiancée really “loved” trying all the terrible concoctions I tried until we picked this flavor profile.)

This is currently still fermenting and a follow up post will follow but for now here is some pictures from brew day :D

Ginger Juice :D

This is 5lbs of juiced ginger. The whole house smelled for a few hours it was awesome.

Waking the yeast up on my homemade stir plate. Bonus made pitching into the carboy easier!

Original gravity: apparently I did my math right because we hit my target spot on! 1.030

Air locked and ready to ferment. Sitting next to a brown ale I brewed the day after :D few more days of fermenter and we should be ready to fine.